Municipal Election Information & Forms
Municipal elections in Alberta occur every four years on the third Monday in October. The 2013 municipal election in Alberta takes place on October 21, 2013.
Bill 7, which amends the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) received Royal Assent on December 10, 2012. Changes to the LAEA are reflected in the updated document available at the Queen’s Printer.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at (780-427-2225), toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.
2013 Municipal Election Training
Municipal Affairs, in cooperation with the Society of Local Government Managers, is pleased to sponsor specific workshops for Returning Officers and other Municipal Election Officials and Prospective Candidates for the 2013 general municipal elections. Please visit the following links to register for workshops and to obtain more information.
- Alberta Votes - returning officers and election officials
- Alberta Leaders - prospective candidates for municipal elections
- Interpretation Bulletin 01/13 - Local Authorities Election Act Amendment
- Local Authorities Election Act - current to December 10, 2012
- Ministerial Order No. L:011/13 - Voter Identification Bylaw Time Requirements
- Information Bulletin 07/12 - Amendments to the Local Authorities Election Act
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections - updated February 12, 2013
- Running for Municipal Office In Alberta - 2013
- Now that you've been elected - (2010 version)
- Municipal Councillors' Guidelines for Conflict of Interest - (2010 version)
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Acts and Regulations
Election Procedure Manual
- Local Authorities Election Act Introduction and Table of Contents - 2013
- Part I - Election Calendars - 2013
- Part II - Prior to Election Day - 2013
- Part III - On Election Day - 2013
- Part IV - After Election Day - 2013
- Part V - Additional Information - 2013
- Part VI - Regulations, Voting Procedures and Arrangements - 2013
- Part VII - Instructions on how to fill out Election Forms - 2013
- Appendix A - Downloadable forms - 2013
- Appendix B - Authorized Voter Identification - 2013
- Appendix C - Elections Database Users Guide - 2013
Previous municipal election summaries