Municipal Election Information & Forms
The 2013 municipal election in Alberta takes place on October 21, 2013. The Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) has been ammended. Changes to the LAEA are reflected in the updated document available at the Queen’s Printer. You may click on the following link to download election forms.
Proper ID is required to vote in municipal elections
All electors are now required to show identification which contains proof of identity and current residence in order to vote. Information on authorized identification types can be found here.
Your municipality may have other requirements or accept other types of identification. Please check with your municipality for local requirements.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at (780-427-2225), toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.
Resources for Promoting Awareness of Voter Identification Requirements
The downloadable files provided in this section are for use by returning officers to promote awareness of voter ID requirements for the municipal election.
- Voter Identification requirements - PDF file
- Banner advertisement about new voter ID requirements - PDF file
- Right ID - Right to Vote logo - hi-res jpeg file
- Municipal information on voter ID - PDF file
- Interpretation Bulletin 01/13 - Local Authorities Election Act Amendment
- Local Authorities Election Act - current to December 10, 2012
- Ministerial Order No. L:011/13 - Voter Identification Bylaw Time Requirements
- Information Bulletin 07/12 - Amendments to the Local Authorities Election Act
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections - updated September 27, 2013
- Running for Municipal Office In Alberta - 2013
- Now that you've been elected - 2013
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors - 2013
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Acts and Regulations
- School Board Trustee Elections Information - (off site link)
Election Procedure Manual
- Local Authorities Election Act Introduction and Table of Contents - 2013
- Part I - Election Calendars - 2013
- Part II - Prior to Election Day - 2013
- Part III - On Election Day - 2013
- Part IV - After Election Day - 2013
- Part V - Additional Information - 2013
- Part VI - Regulations, Voting Procedures and Arrangements - 2013
- Part VII - Instructions on how to fill out Election Forms - 2013
- Appendix A - Downloadable forms - 2013
- Appendix B - Authorized Voter Identification - Updated July 17, 2013
- Appendix C - Elections Database Users Guide - 2013
2013 Municipal Election Training is NOW COMPLETED
Municipal Affairs, in cooperation with the Society of Local Government Managers, was pleased to sponsor specific workshops for Returning Officers and other Municipal Election Officials and Prospective Candidates for the 2013 general municipal elections. The following links will remain active and contain information of interest regarding the 2013 muncipal elections.
- Alberta Votes - returning officers and election officials
- Alberta Leaders - prospective candidates for municipal elections
- Video Conference sessions for election officials & prospective candiddates
Previous municipal election summaries