Owner Builder Application
Please note: The New Home Buyer Protection office is open Monday to Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:15am to 4:30pm. During closure, the email (HomeWarranty.firstname.lastname@example.org and NHBPS.email@example.com) and phone (1-866-421-6929) will not be monitored.
On this page you will find detailed instructions on how to apply for an owner builder authorization:
- To apply for an Owner Builder Authorization:
- You will need to become an authorized user of the New Home Buyer Protection System Portal. Access to the portal is obtained by submitting a NHBPS Access Request. If you are unable to view the NHBPS Access Request application above, please contact the New Home Buyer Protection Office at NHBPS.firstname.lastname@example.org. Access request applications will be processed in approximately three business days.
- Once access has been obtained, create an Application for Authorization and submit the $750 application fee. This payment can be done online or by cheque payable to the Government of Alberta.
- A completed application must include a questionnaire and affidavit of execution form each person listed on the land title.
- Once the originals have been received in the New Home Buyer Protection Office, you application for owner builder authorization will be assessed. If it is approved, you will be able to apply for a building permit.
- The average processing time for a complete Owner Builder Application is 14 business days. Applications which are incomplete at the time of submission may take longer to process. Applications without a fee payment will not be reviewed.
- The application fee is non refundable.
- If an applicant is applying for a mortgage on the new home, it is strongly recommended that the applicant speak to their lender prior to submitting their Application for Owner Builder Authorization. Some lenders in Alberta may require warranty on the home if you are using financing (i.e. a mortgage or line of credit).
- Print off and sign the application. Complete an Affidavit of Executions. Mail completed documents to the New Home Buyer Protection Office (if you are not paying online your payment must be mailed with the completed application documents).
New Home Buyer Protection Office
Alberta Municipal Affairs
16th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 – 102 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 4L4
Once the owner builder authorization certificate is approved, applicants will be contacted by email.
Detailed instructions for the application process can be found in the Owner Builder Portal User Manual (PDF). The guide provides:
- an overview of the options available to owner builders,
- how to apply for an owner builder authorization,
- how to manage payments,
- instructions on how to register an owner-built home constructed with warranty, and
- how to obtain a Registrar's Certificate.
Note: It is recommended that you read the Owner Builder User Manual prior to filling out your application
In order to have your application evaluated in a timely manner, the following tips are recommended:
- When mailing the application package, use registered mail. This will allow you to confirm when your application was received.
- If an in-person discussion is required, please call 1-866-421-6929 to make an appointment.
- If paying offline, use a certified cheque as payment. This speeds the payment process, which will result in a faster review of your application.
- Check with your lender if you intend to use financing as warranty may be required.
Note: Your application will not be considered complete until we have received all of the original signed application documents in the New Home Buyer Protection Office.